The eye exam for prescription glasses or ophthalmological examination is done to evaluate the visual capacity and, although it can be done at home, it should always be done by an ophthalmologist, since only he can make a correct diagnosis and evaluate the health of the eyes before giving prescription glasses. There are several types of eye exams, however, the most common is the examination to assess the ability to see from near and far and should be done at least once a year from the age of 40, even if you already wear glasses. Because the degree of the glasses may have changed, needing to be increased or decreased depending on the case It is recommended to do this type of exam whenever there are symptoms of difficulty seeing, such as frequent headache or red eyes, for example. See a more complete list of symptoms that may indicate vision problems. click here for further details.
How to take the home sight exam
- To take the eye examination at home, just follow the following instructions:
- Stand at the distance from the monitor indicated in the table below;
- Look at the picture and tape the left eye with your left hand, without pressing. If you wear glasses or lenses, do not take them out for testing;
- Try to read the letters of the image from top to bottom;
- Repeat the process for the right eye.
- The recommended monitor distance for this test is:
- Monitor Type: Distance: for more details, visit : https://www.unicor.gov/Shopping/viewCat_m.asp?iStore=UNI&idCategory=1427
14-inch monitor 5.5 meters
15-inch monitor 6 meters
If you can read to the last line with both eyes the visual capacity is 100%, but if you cannot read to the last line with both eyes, it may be necessary to correct the vision with cheap glasses. For this, it is recommended to consult an ophthalmologist to confirm the degree of vision and make the necessary correction through the use of the best cheap glasses.
What is the price of the professional exam?
The price of eye examination can vary from 80 to 300 dollars depending on the type of eye exam indicated by the doctor and the office where it is done.
- Snellen test: also known as acuity, refraction, or degree measurement, is the most common vision test, and serves to evaluate how much the person sees, having to observe the letters of a scale, evaluating the presence of myopia , Hyper-metropia and astigmatism;
- Ishihara test: this test evaluates the perception of colors and is used to diagnose color blindness, and try to identify which number you can see in the center of the image, surrounded by colors;
- OCT View Test: Optical coherence tomography is an examination done on a machine and is used in the diagnosis of corneal, retinal, vitreous and optic nerve diseases.
These tests are important to evaluate the need to use prescription glasses, contact lenses or, in more serious cases, to have surgery to recover the sight. It is important to look for the best doctors and get your eyeglasses online.